Monday, January 26, 2009

Un buen día





This bottom picture Vin tricked me into taking, well he said "surprised faces" meaning I will do one too. Then he laughed when he took it..."haha I didnt do one" Ohhh Vin.

^ Pictures from the other day just chillin in Starbucks. Me Kelly and Vin. There were new workers that day, they didn't exactly like how comfortable we were there. We were appalled they did not know this is OUR starbucks. We aren't thhhat possessive over it, but the regular workers do know we like to hang out there for hours at a time. Oh well, we'll have to schedule our time there around the nice workers. =D

So this is nothing particular...I just had a day unusually full of family moments. Just like you don't even realize its happening, but i'm really fitting in kind of moments.

First of all I'm really really bummed right now because my amazing friend Vin, my exchange friend from New York, who has been one of my rocks throughout this year so far, well, he's leaving. I don't know when exactly but it could be as soon as 2 weeks from now, he will be returning to NY. I won't go into details as to why, its just family reasons back home. But just to let you all know I'm not losing a friend, because he will always be in my heart and I plan to visit him, but he is leaving Spain and that is a huge loss for me this year. Its hard to picture Spain without him. (All four of us Emily, Kelly, Vin and me plan to visit each other as much as possible when we return) Kelly and I were talking about how Madrid has become synonymous with many inside jokes, people, and things. Its hard to know what we'll do when some of those are lost, he really will be missed here.

So, on a happier note. Today after Vin left my house, Kelly and I went to the local with my brother. Some days I can pick up everything going on around me, and some days i am completely lost. I had a lost day this past weekend, and I was kinda bummed that I hadn't been interacting much. Because I always really want to it's just some days are harder than others. It might be the subject matter, the amount of background noise/people there, and then my amount of comprehension on any particular day. Anyways today was a good day for speaking and understanding. Then I went on a refreshing walk to the bus stop with kelly through the streets of Majadahonda. When I got back my brother and la rubia (Cris's Ex-Girlfriend, they still hang out all the time though) were there. Our friends Rafa, Kike, and Juan Lu played guitar and sang. Some songs written by Rafa and others were covers. I have to say the sound of an acoustic guitar does remind me of my Dad. Its nice though, those three i mentioned before are amazing guitar players and singers. Its fun having personal concerts all the time! Its fun being able to joke around with people sometimes, I'm getting good at that what with having brothers....tons of pillow fights, boy body spray being sprayed on me before we go out, water bottles hit on my head, oh and dont forget, a toothbrush flung at me, toothpaste and saliva intact. Oh the life as the youngest child... and really I've been loving it. My brother Cris has the typical spanish teenage boy hairstyle where its a little longer in the back but not a legit mullet. I don't know how i felt about it at first, but it does grow on you. Anyways I put it in a ponytail for him, which me and his ex got a good laugh at (it wasnt the most attractive thing)...and later i had an actual conversation with rubia, for the first time. I know these might seem very small, but any interactions that are successfully entertaining on my part, are well, impressive. Humor can be hard here.

Then tonight at dinner Cris got up and got two oranges, one for him, one for me. In the time of like 10 seconds, Sapi asked me for some of my orange, I passed it to him. Then Cris, oblivious of that transaction, leans over and gives me the extra of his orange that he didn't want. I just felt like part of the process (in a good way) like they don't mind taking or giving me food. Maybe something like this has happened before...but it just felt like family tonight. Then just a bit ago my host mom came in and started talking to me about plastic surgery....while in my doorway Cris was flashing the Loser sign my way....I threw it back at him, wasn't gonna let that slide. and he started yelling loser down the stairs. Meanwhile my host mom says, "loser, what is loser, is he a loser?"
"yes mom, yes he is"
still oblivious to what it means she walks out of my room and calls the innocent bystander (Sapi) LOSER right in his face.
The reaction of Sapi, and the way my mom said it was hilarious beyond belief, and then they started cracking up at my outburst.

Anyways, all in all a very good day...tomorrow school...buuut Thursday is my birthday, so I'm very much looking forward to that! Hope you enjoyed the tiny snapshot of my life <3
besos
maddy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maddy! I don't know if you remember me, but this is Whitney Queral. I just saw your mom at Rachel's baby shower this past weekend and she told me all about your exchange and told me to check out your blog. It looks like you are having so much fun, and learning so much. I've been searching for some type of program to live in either Spain or Italy, I really love learning the languages. I can't wait to read more about your year!

Ciao :)
Whitney

Kevin said...

humor is the hardest part! congratulations! I wish I had siblings here in Brazil- it sounds like such a positive experience!